Thursday, May 26, 2005

Mommy, where does HAM come from??

Well, when a man and woman love each other a whole lot...

HAM: The meat cut from the thigh and buttocks of a slaughtered animal, usually pig. More often than not, HAM is cured. It can be dry-cured or wet-cured.
Dry-curing is done by putting the meat in a powdered mixture of salt, sodium nitrate, sodium nitrite. Wet-curing is done by injecting brine into the meat.

wet-cured=English Wiltshire Ham
dry-cured=Italian Prosciutto, England York Ham, German Westphalian Ham (smoked over Juniper)

courtesy: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ham
and WILL!

Now I can breathe easy again knowing where ham comes from!

5 Comments:

At 8:39 AM, Blogger traceofblistex said...

Mmmmm... I am hungry now!!!

 
At 8:39 AM, Blogger traceofblistex said...

I'd like a hum dinger of a ham dinner!

 
At 12:03 PM, Blogger Astrid said...

Yes, I am a vegetarian! Momma, can I have another tomato?

 
At 12:06 PM, Blogger traceofblistex said...

I usually don't eat meat, but sometimes on occasion I drool up for a big slice of ham. My days in Biology class have detered me from being able to chomp on flesh mindlessly. Special occasion... and when it doesn't look like it came from an animal. For instance, this weekend there was a GIANT hog on a roasting pole at a wedding I went to. It was scary! I did not eat any portion of the pig. Eep!

 
At 5:22 AM, Blogger dbdoberman said...

ugh, interesting post, but I do not eat pork.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home