Wednesday, July 20, 2005

Racial Cliches and Phrases

So I was thinking about words the other day. There are so many phrases and cliches that are or could be racial slurs! I was vaccuming and afterwards I say to myself, "Wow, that looks so spick and span!" Now that sounds to me like it could be a racial slur. My reasoning is that there tends to be a lot of hispanic maids and housekeepers and such... so there comes the phrase "Spick and Span" to mean REALLY CLEAN! Correct me if I'm wrong.

PLEASE SHARE: any phrases that you think may have racial references.

3 Comments:

At 4:29 PM, Blogger traceofblistex said...

But why would Spick and SPan mean clean???
Why would that be a tagline for an ad if the meaning didn't come from somewhere? You mean they named a product that?

 
At 1:03 PM, Blogger Astrid said...

I am feeling blue. Would that refer to the alien-race?

 
At 2:08 PM, Blogger visionaries said...

"Rule of thumb" is a phrase used during slavery meaning that the slaveowner could beat the slave with a stick or other object if it is smaller than their thumb...thus rule of thumb. If you ever use it when you write, stop to think and then change it to something else, such as, "as a general rule".

 

Post a Comment

<< Home